BULLDOZER ROLLS OVER
OPERATOR THROWN AND DIES ON THE SPOT
Amanda Mc Cormack , Fort Wayne, IN 21/11/2019
Back In August 2018, a dreadful incident took place where a bulldozer operator killed while he was clearing foliage. The bulldozer operator was from Julatten, and by the looks of it, he drove onto a log because of which the tracks lost the friction, resulting in the dozer rolling onto a steep slope which threw the Julatten worker from the cage resulting in his immediate death. The incident investigated further.
WAYS TO PREVENT A SIMILAR INCIDENT
The safety of Dozers and other similar mobile plants is successful when they are correctly operated. When they incorrectly operated, there is a risk of loss of property, loss of goods and most importantly, loss of life.
Before one operates a mobile plant, he must ensure the following, for safety purposes:
- A seat belt should be worn where it fitted
- Select the best possible vehicle for ground conditions, task weather and the pathway is well inspected and ensured that there are no potential problems.
- You have read all the safety instructions provided by the manufacturer.
- A well-suited combination for operating protective devices for that particular plant is provided.
PROSECUTIONS AND COMPLIANCE
Back In 2017, a worker killed while he was performing scrub pulling using the two bulldozers connected via a chain. The company was fined $70,000 for the accident. According to the reports of the incident, some mechanical problems led to one of the bulldozers getting stopped. The driver got off and checked what the problem was, but due to lack of communication, the other bulldozer kept pulling and ran the bulldozer over the co-worker. There was no source of the disclosure provided by the company.
- In 2014, a worker failed to navigate a bend on a farm road, which led to him getting injured. He threw out of the bulldozer because of not wearing the proper seat belt and was run over by a tractor. Sadly it could have been averted with a SIL rated safety systems fitted. Like those supplied by TECOM Australia